Seventeen Things You Never Knew About Yellow Peas
1. Yellow peas are also know as Matar or White Vatana.
2. Dried yellow peas are a dietary staple going back some 10,000 years.
3. Originally from the Middle East, Peas soon spread throughout the Mediterranean region and on to India and China.
4. The cultivation of Peas in Europe helped to stave off a famine in England in 1555.
5. Today, Canada is the world’s largest exporter of yellow peas
6. A 1/2-cup serving of cooked peas provides 144 calories, 10 grams of protein, less than 1 gram of fat, 26 grams of carbohydrates, 10 grams of dietary fiber, 2 milligrams of sodium and no cholesterol.
7. One cup of yellow peas can provide approximately 65% of the daily recommended of fiber in your diet.
8. The fiber in yellow peas is excellent for lowering cholesterol, regulating blood sugar, and preventing constipation and other digestive disorders.
9. As a nutrient rich carbohydrate, yellow peas provide a solid steady supply of energy, without the mid-afternoon slump.
10. Yellow peas are a good source of potassium which helps lower the blood pressure, leading to heart disease.
11. As well, they are an excellent source of the trace mineral molybdenum, that helps combat physical reaction to sulfite food preservative added to processed foods.
12. Yellow peas contain isoflavones (particularly Daidzein) that decrease the risk of developing certain types of cancers cancers, especially breast cancer and prostate cancer and are also known to reduce hot flashes in menopausal women.
13. Peas also contain high amounts of the photochemical Coumestrol which is associated with a lower risk of receptor negative tumors.
14. Yellow peas can help regulate sleep and improves mood with the amino acid Tryptophan
15. Yellow peas are a particularly good source of protein making the valuable for the vegan and vegetarian.
16. Being rich in vitamins B1, B5, K, and folate, iron, magnesium, zinc, yellow peas make a great addition to any dietary program.
17. Because they are nutritionally dense in proteins, carbohydrates and easily absorbed nutrients, yellow peas are valuable component in livestock feed.
One thought on “Yellow Peas”
Would like whole yellow peas , perhaps in the vanderhoof co-op.